Friday 22 June 2012

Bolu kukus tepung beras & labu kuning

I was feeling like fat-free baking last week. I googled for a cake recipe without butter, margarine or oil. Is there any? Yes it is, I found it in my kitchen notes, thanks ya mba yu....^^ Moreover, this cake is wheat free, egg free, and fat free. Can you believe that?


The original recipe:
by Farah Quinn via my kitchen notes

200 gr sugar
200 gr rice flour
2 tsp baking powder
250 ml water/milk
1 tsp vanilla essence

My variation:
As usual, the first thing I did is adjust the sweetness to my unsweet tooth. I reduced the amount of sugar to 150 gr. Then, I wanted to colour this cake naturally, that is why I blended 100 gr steamed pumpkin in the water required in this recipe, to add a hint of yellow, and also sprinkled choco rice to add brown spots on the cake. Last, because I run out of baking powder and based on my experience before that baking soda and lime juice can help egg-free cake to rise highly, I substituted 1/2 tsp of baking powder for 1/2 tsp of baking soda and added 1 tsp of lime juice. 

150 gr sugar
200 gr rice flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
250 ml pumpkin juice (from 100 gr steamed pumpkin blended with 230 ml water)
1 tsp lime juice
1 tsp vanilla essence
chocolate rice for decoration


Methods:
Preheat the steamer. Line the bolu kukus mould or cupcake mould with cupcake liners.
Combine sugar, rice flour, baking powder and baking soda. Gradually add the water. Mix well. Add the vanilla essence and lime juice. Mix well.
Spoon the batter 3/4 full into the mould. Sprinkle the chocolate rice.
Steam in the preheated steamer on high heat.
Enjoy!


My Notes
This bolu kukus is really a simple and easy cake to make. I used my mini bolu kukus mould, so the cakes were done long before the steaming time stated in the recipe (15 minutes). They could rise highly enough, nice and light . But the colour was not as yellow as I expected. Maybe I need more pumpkin next time (?). Because this is rice flour steamed cake, so the taste is very close to kue mangkok. The taste of pumpkin is almost undetectable.

No comments:

Post a Comment